850 Room Student Halls- Coventry
Provectus completed a design and build fixed price enabling works package at a city centre location in Coventry
A variety of contaminants were found to be present including, Chromium, Nickel, Lead, asbestos and solvents. The site boundary ran along a busy road.
- Demolition of existing buildings and removal of all existing storage tanks/drainage/obstructions
- Decommissioning of abstraction borehole located on site
- Crushing of hardcover and brickwork from the demolition works to a 6F2/6F5 classification
- Excavation of known contaminated soils and segregation into different stockpiles for reuse/treatment or disposal
- Supplementary site investigation prior to remediation works commencing to confirm hotspot locations/depth.
- Validation of excavations after hotspots have been removed for the contaminants of concern (VOCs) to ensure all hotspots have been removed effectively
- Pumping of groundwater for as long as practicable from alluvium
- Backfilling of excavations to a pre-defined formation level using treated and/or suitable site won material
- Placement of geogrid and compaction of a piling mat to allow piling to commence
- Installation of post – remediation groundwater monitoring wells and water monitoring
The works enabled this challenging site to be made available for a rapid programme of development into 850 student room campus accommodation.