Materials Management Plan
Is your excavated material a waste? We can can help you reuse your material under the terms of a materials management plan.
When is excavated material waste?
Waste as defined in the EU Waste Framework Directive is “…any substance or object which the holder discards or intends or is required to discard…”
So when ground is excavated the soil is deemed to be waste. Developers and Contractors can be ahead of the game with our help to plan and manage their ground excavations cost effectively whilst complying with environmental regulations.
Without an exemption from the waste management licensing regulations or an environmental permit (EP) from the Environment Agency, excavated soil is waste and will incur costly landfill tax. To support land development in the UK the CL:AIRE Definition of Waste : Development Industry Code of Practice scheme has been introduced. Under this CoP, arisings are no longer considered to be waste and thus can be reused on site. This eliminates the costly option of disposal off-site, together with the associated landfill tax, and removes the need to import clean fill.
Provectus can provide guidance and full support to ensure Developers and Contractors comply with the CL:AIRE CoP and hence their legal obligations.
Designing a Materials Management Plan (MMP), which specifies re-use for excavated materials and having this independently assessed by a Qualified Person (QP) ensuring it meets the four factors for compliance:
- Protection of human health and the environment
- Suitability of use without treatment (if treatment, EP required)
- Certainty of use
- Quantity of material
Ensures the material is no longer classified as waste.
Provectus are able to act as QP of an already designed MMP or can review your site design and where appropriate design an MMP specifically for you. Or we can offer a complete solution package providing both MMP and QP.
Benefits of Materials Management Plans
- Significant cost savings to developer
- Sustainable diversion from landfill void
- Minimise waste
- Minimise transport movements
- Less resistance from neighbours
- Reduction in carbon footprint
- Reduce need to import materials
Do you need technical help to comply with waste legislation?
Provectus Providing Complete Solutions:
- CL:AIRE Materials Management Plans
- CL:AIRE registered Qualified Persons to act as independent assessors to sign off MMP
- Chartered Geologists
- Guidance to comply with legislation
- Both MMP & QP as a Package giving certainty
For further information please email email@example.com or call 01245 505600